Planning on building in Bourbon County? Once you have a site selected and building plans are drawn up, you need to apply for a building permit through our office.

The Bourbon County Joint  ordinances require that building and electrical permits and a waste water site evaluation be obtained.  Projects include but are not limited to: Any type of residence, mobile home, manufactured home, deck, porch, breezeway, any type of  addition to an existing structure, storage shed/accessory structure, remodel of a structure, garage or carport, in ground swimming pool and signs. If you have questions about permitting, please contact the Bourbon County Joint Planning Office at (859) 987-2150.


Requirements for a Building Permit



Applications for a building permit are processed in-person at the Joint Planning Office at 525 High St, Paris, KY. It is always helpful to call in advance with any questions prior to application. Upon application submittal, please allow 24-48 hours for processing.  All fees are paid at the same location. Accepted forms of payment are cash or check.






Hiring a contractor?  All residents are asked to make sure that hired contractors are licensed to conduct business in Bourbon County.  If work is being conducted inside the City of Paris city limits, downloadable forms are available on the City of Paris website for an annual fee of $75.  If work is being conducted outside the city limits, contact the Bourbon County Treasurer’s Office at (859) 987-2139 for a license at no charge.



The Joint Planning Office has the authority to impose fines on contractors or residents who do not obtain the proper permits and inspections for work requiring building permits. Residents should be aware that when a contractor is hired to do the work, it is the property owner’s responsibility to obtain the permits and post them in clear view at the jobsite.


IF IN DOUBT, CONTACT US.  (895)  987-2150


If you have any questions regarding permits, codes, or contractor licensing, give us a call! 859-987-2150 or EMAIL US.




  • HVAC Inspection, Richard Gulley, (606) 748-9008
  • Plumbing Inspection, Tom Parrish, (859) 298-8721
  • Electrical Inspection, Larry Rice, (859) 338-6109
  • Wastewater Site Evaluation, Bourbon County Health Department, Bill Caldwell, (859) 987-2323