BUILDING PERMITS & INSPECTION
Building permits are required when any owner or authorized agent who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, remove, convert, or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system, or to cause any such work to be done, shall first make application to the Building Inspector and obtain the required permit.
- A building permit is required on all new construction (residential and non-residential) and any alterations that are being made on an existing structure including addition, moving of walls, decks, garages, sheds over 200 square feet, carports, etc.
- A demolition permit is required before demolishing any structure.
- A swimming pool permit is required for all in-ground pools.
Building and Electrical permits are processed through the Bourbon County Joint Planning Office. Please call (859) 987-2150. Upon
application submittal, please allow a 24-72 hours for processing. Accepted forms of payment are cash or check.
ELECTRICAL PERMITS & INSPECTIONS
Electrical permits and inspections are required for all new wiring or any change to the existing wiring. Electrical permits can be obtained at the Bourbon County Joint Planning Office, 859-987-2150. Electrical inspections must be conducted by the State Electrical Inspector, Larry Rice, 859-338-6109.
- HVAC Inspection, Keith Centers (state inspector), (859) 229-3300
- Plumbing Inspection, Keith Centers (state inspector), (859) 229-3300
- Electrical Inspection, Larry Rice, (859) 338-6109
- Electric Service Areas Map
- Wastewater Site Evaluation, Bourbon County Health Department, Bill Caldwell, (859) 987-2323
- City of Paris Sanitary Sewer Map
- Sewer/Water Tap Application and Affidavit
- Drinking Water Service Areas Map
- City of Paris Business Applications
Hiring a contractor? All residents are asked to make sure that hired contractors are licensed to conduct business in Bourbon County. If work is being conducted inside the City of Paris city limits, downloadable forms are available on the City of Paris website for an annual fee of $75. If work is being conducted outside the city limits, contact the Bourbon County Treasurer’s Office at (859) 987-2139 to file for a business license.
We have the authority to impose fines on contractors or residents who do not obtain the proper permits and inspections for work
requiring building permits. Residents should be aware that when a contractor is hired to do the work, it is the property owner’s responsibility to ensure permits are obtained and posted in clear view at the jobsite.